General Definition of Work
Performs semiskilled work installing, maintaining and repairing water and sewer systems and associated appurtenances, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Construction Supervisor.
- Installs, maintains and repairs water and sewer systems, sewer pump stations, water pump stations, well pump stations, equipment, vehicles, buildings and grounds.
- Installs new water and wastewater connections and extension of water and wastewater lines.
- Repairs water leaks, sewer leaks and sewer line stop-ups.
- Maintains department vehicles, equipment, buildings and grounds.
- Performs locates for Miss Utility tickets.
- Follows VDOT regulations for Work Zones.
- Operates water and sewer systems.
- Maintains appropriate hourly and equipment records on specified work orders.
- Assists with maintaining inventory of supplies.
- May require work outside normal work hours in emergency and on-call situations.
- Reads Meters
- Performs Cut-Offs
- Flags Traffic
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Some knowledge of the safe use, operation and preventive maintenance of the equipment to which assigned; skill in the use of equipment to which assigned; ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions; possession of technology skills including computer and various other systems; ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions; ability to lift heavy articles; ability to read and write; good physical condition; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associations.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 50 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 100 pounds of force and occasional exertion of over 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and reaching with hands and arms, frequently requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires sitting and climbing or balancing; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts within arms length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires working near moving mechanical parts and exposure to outdoor weather conditions, frequently requires working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment and occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock, working with explosives, exposure to vibration and wearing a self contained breathing apparatus; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).
- Possession of or ability to obtain VDOT Basic Work Zone, Traffic Control and Flagger
certifications within 1 year of employment.
- Valid commercial driver's license preferred.
- Valid driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Contact : Please complete the employment application located on our website.
Applications can also be obtained through the Human Resources Office at 605-1 Pine Street, Hillsville, VA.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled