General Definition of Work
Performs administrative support work greeting visitors and providing information related to travel and the local area, suggesting local attractions to visitors, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Tourism Relations Manager.
- Greets visitors and directs persons to tourist attractions, facilities, hotels, restaurants or other services.
- Answers questions related to travel and the surrounding area.
- Suggests local attractions to visitors.
- Maintains inventory of and stocks brochures and other materials; assists in preparation of fulfillment mailings; hands out brochures, information and maps of the area.
- Greets gift shop customers; sells gift shop inventory; receives and accounts for monies received.
- Maintains daily records of visitors, sales, etc.
- Answers telephone and provides assistance when necessary.
- Ensures that the gift shop and visitors center is clean and welcoming.
- Assists Tourism Director and Tourism Relations Manager as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General knowledge of the location of tourist attractions, opportunities, activities and events in the County; general knowledge of the layout of the County; ability to communicate ideas effectively in an oral format; ability to direct people to events and attractions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work occasionally requires standing, walking, sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and reaching with hands and arms; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Contact : Please complete the employment application located on our website. Applications can also be obtained through the Human Resources Office at 605-1 Pine Street, Hillsville, VA.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled